Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Serendipity Visited The Morning


And just when I have an intellectual burst........... there it is again, the magic, the serendipity reminding me that indeed it is not all as solid as it appears.

Wednesday morning I was out to do errands early before treatment time. I had to go to a market that we have used for many years. One of the clerks there has become a good friend over time. She has had a connection with us for at least 20 years. I remember first telling her about Anna having CF and she told me that when she was much younger, she had a boyfriend who had CF. He passed away as a very young man. She understands CF. She also just recently met someone else with CF and her mom whom we know. It is funny how she is connected. It is always a comfort to see Mary. This is also because she is such a warm and pleasant person. Along with buying the peaches for a cobbler for Sara's Birthday on Thursday, I wanted to give Mary an update on Anna.

Near the cash register Mary and I hugged and I told her that Anna is a hair away from being listed for transplant. She told me that she knows another customer whose granddaughter with CF just had a transplant too. I wondered who this other family was. Did I know them? At that moment, the customer she referred to walked up to us. I was introduced to Marilyn. OK, I guess the timing was right there.......... Marilyn decided to go to the market too. Were we nudged by invisible winged ones to get to the market in time to converge at precisely the same moment when Mary could make an introduction? Makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

Like I said, serendipity visited the morning and brought with it a happy story of transplant. Marilyn's granddaughter, Katie, is 20 years old and had a transplant in May. She was very very ill prior to receiving her new lungs. She had to be carried up stairs in her home and was very weak. Now she is home and bounding up the stairs, driving, thriving and thrilled. She is doing fabulous. We commented on the miracle and what an amazing change this brings to these people who suffer from CF. Our meeting made me feel that things are unfolding as they should and as they will. It happened for Katie and it can also happen for Anna and we are counting on it.

Thank you Oh Winged Ones, it was wonderful to receive that gift this morning. It was a gift of encouragement and a gift of magic. It was also a gift of remembrance of my mother. As I talked with this grandmother who was beaming about her granddaughter I thought of Mom, my daughters' Grammy. Where it would be so hard for Mom to witness Anna's decline in health and I could not care for both of them at the same time now, I wish she could be here to see Anna after transplant. I wish she could see the miracle. But, the truth is we are not there yet. We are still setting the stage and hoping for this wonderful outcome. It is still a dream and not a reality. This state of unknowing would be so hard on my mother. We have to wait. We have to sit on the edge until the time comes. Mom definitely would not like that. Tears cleansed my eyes while talking with Marilyn because I missed Mom and wished she could be here for the good part.

Hey, was it Mom with her new wings that tapped us on the shoulder putting grandmother Marilyn and me together at the same time in Mom's favorite market? Hmmmmm, something nice to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment