Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Comfort Food


It is Friday, it has been a month here in the apartment and I have 5 empty containers of Trader Joe's Goat Yogurt (yes, I am lactose intolerant and thrilled about goats and their solution to the dairy issues). I will be marking the length of my stay by how much of this comfort food I consume. Am I already getting loopy? We are still in the waiting to be waiting stage. Hopefully next week that will change.

What we learned this week:

• birthdays can always be fun.

• a visit to endocrinology was invaluable. Anna's endocrinologist helped tune us into the importance of blood sugars and healing after the surgery. Because Anna's CF Related Diabetes began after she was an adult and on her own, I am not that versed in this disease. I have given her a shot or two of insulin but she has been managing it. I need to write down her formulas for carb counting and get the groove on because after surgery Anna will be a bit on drugs and she will need me to be advocating for her for endocrine consults and helping to keep her sugars low and well under 300 while she is on prednesone.

• it is terrifying to sit near someone having a TB test read in the waiting room and hearing it is positive! The heart starts pounding, the mind starts racing to how the nasty bugs have already entered your body, causing its ravages. But the reality is, it is safe. This woman was as quiet as a church mouse and never coughed. Thus, even though it most likely is not an active case she did not spread her germs. Having CF causes a terror about viruses and germs that is only going to be heightened when immuno suppressed with transplant. Lathering antibacterial gel all over arms and legs can help get rid of the hebbie gebbies.

• the instant swelling and continued fluid on my knee was caused (Dr Watson was right in the first place) by the rupture of a cyst because of a tear in the meniscus due to use and wear. In other words, age. Great! Well I will continue to elevate, ice, take anti inflamatories and as I was told, no more running or pounding pavement. I will be taking up swimming again and the elliptical. When I have time????

• comfort foods help a lot. When you have a favorite routine or food, the body and mind settle in. Goat Yogurt in the morning with berries and banana is my comfort and the way to start the day, with coffee of course.

You know the joke, "how many (___) does it take to screw in a light bulb?" Well, the question here will be, "how many Goat Yogurt containers does it take to witness a miracle on order?"

No comments:

Post a Comment