Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Roxy


I am not alone this morning when I wake up. Four of us slept here last night. Me, Doug, Sara and Roxy (the dog) crashed in the crash pad. We have this spot in apartment 1513 to gather our forces, gather our family, surround our Anna, and make this happen. It is a family affair and our main focus now. It is sweet to wake up early and tip toe to my coffee while my darlings are still asleep in the other room. We are so lucky to have each other. Humans need relationship. Humans need love. Humans need support. And humans, at least these humans, need pets.

I haven't seen Roxy for a number of days now. What a joyful dog and loving friend she is. I was so lucky to find this apartment so close to Anna that allows dogs. This was essential. Our dogs have always been such an important part of our family. This dog though has been exceptional. She is a dear, dear one. Anna and I found her on Craigslist after Tashi died about 2 1/2 years ago. This was an important project for Anna. She wanted to be sure that Doug and I found the right dog. She spent many hours researching for us, visiting "the pound" and sending me updates on dogs available for rescue. Then we found the posting about Roxy.

Now, Doug was only allowed to participate in this process from a far for a very good reason. He would take any wayward dog soul home with us. Any pooch that needed a new home would have tugged at his heart and we knew that was too dangerous. So, it was me and Anna on the hunt. We met Roxy in Ben Lomand and knew right away, she was the one. And she was, to be sure. She became our therapy dog. Life was tough at that time too with other difficult family situations and we all needed dog love. Roxy had it (has it) in abundance and is such a good dog.

Roxy was with Doug and I as we sat with his mom as she died of lymphoma. She was a warm spot in the room. She sat quietly, a sweet presence for anyone to pet. She also gave us a chance to leave when we needed so that we could walk her. Doug's mom, Renee also liked that Roxy was there. She has helped us through a lot of hard situations already in the short time she has lived with us. She has been our great friend. I know I need her to help me through this too.

There is nothing like that fast wiggling body that is energized by love for you and the warm wet tongue kisses on the face and the deep brown eyes that just want you to love back. Roxy is very important in this story and I am so glad she is here sleeping in the other room.

1 comment:

  1. No one understands this better than your sister! The purity of dog love and dog joy is essential in my life! Bodhi Andhi and Shiloh all agree!

    ReplyDelete