Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Community


A community is a group of people with a place, living space, idea, profession, or something in common. These people come together with some shared bond. We have many such communities in our lives. Think of all the different groups of people that you commune with. You are probably associated with many more communities than you even realize. Some are more important to you than others.

On Saturday we went to the CFRI (Cystic Fibrosis Research, Inc.) annual conference in Redwood City. We went thinking there may be something interesting to learn about but mostly for the community. These are people who are of a special tribe, the CF tribe. They wear the trappings of a unique group upon their hearts. We speak a similar dialect so we understand and are familiar and comfortable with each other. I love our friends in this community. They are such wonderful people. I do not know the newest members, the younger generation, but I remember the feelings I had in the beginning. One of the feelings was ambivalence and resistance, "I don't want to be here! I did not choose this!" Another feeling was that I was comforted and drawn to this group. I was amazed by these lovely people who also were caught off guard by this disease and doing their best to deal with it. We have known each other for over 25 years now.

I am reminded of another community. Another group association of mine sent a beautiful plant as a thoughtful gift to me in my home. This is a new community to me. The Patient Advisory Council of Stanford Hospital is a group of interesting folk who all have in common the wish that health care improves for those who are ill and their families. I have a lot in common with this group as well and look forward to growing with this community. I am touched by this community with its caring and outreach to me at this time.

Since we just moved to a new housing development in Livermore I have another new community that I am becoming a part of. We are the neighbors in Private Reserve. What wonderful people these are that we get to live near. They have been so interested and caring about our situation with Anna. They want to help and reach out. We are indebted to a few of them already for their kindness and invaluable help. I hope and pray that this community continues to deepen its ties with friendships to last a long time.

Today we went to our old neighborhood where we raised our children and lived for 20 years, the Greenmeadow community. In the park, that is the center of the neighborhood, chairs were set up for a family's memorial service. We went to participate in the saying of good byes to Dan, a young 24 year old who lost his life in a mysterious way this week. It was a beautiful service and warm coming together. The service was ended by a special ritual. This young man was a knitter and in his honor, we all gathered in a circle wide and open so that we could pass from one to another, a ball of yarn and hold a string that brought us together as a community. This was a unique community of people created by Dan. Apparently, the creation of community was something that was very important to him. He was a brilliant and deeply thoughtful man and his memorial demonstrated the strength of community that meant so much to him.

Doug and I connected to some of our personal tribal groups and important individual members of our communities these past few days. It seems so very important for us humans to have these groups to live, love and be with. We are a social species and need the connections. It is interesting to think of all the different groups that we are a part of and how we interact and what we contribute. This multitude of personal communities must be a modern phenomenon. In times not too long ago our personal communities must have been fewer in number, such as just the town, church or work where we lived. Now with transportation, computers etc., there are numerous communities to connect with, in fact it is global.

Until I went to this memorial for Dan I was not as aware as I am now of the vital role the many communities I am connected with play in my life. I guess I have been taking some things for granted. Thank you to the Schreiber family and Dan for sharing that with me in your passing.

1 comment:

  1. We have a lot of people that love and support us. i am glad that you could be there to love and support them as well.

    ReplyDelete