Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Savor The Bouquet


Day number 19, waiting for the call for Anna's double lung transplant...

This was a longer week in Sunnyvale. Sara needed a break so I have stayed until Saturday morning. Casey is going on a long bike ride, such a man, to Monterey today, amazing. Linda our dear one comes this afternoon to spend time and treatments with her friend. I will be back on Monday morning.

Doug and Roxy are with me. My sweeties fill the apartment with comfort, hugs, slurpy dog kisses, and my life. We miss our day to day life with each other, "normalcy", what ever that means. "How are you doing, Doug." "OK, it is hard." "I know it is" "But, we have to." "We are so lucky to be able to make this work. There is no other way." "It is our darling's life we are saving."

Some people in our situation have a really difficult circumstance. People travel long, long distances away from home and familiarity to live near the medical center that provides specialized care, like transplant. Families can be divided by expensive traveling, airplanes, and months and months. It is not that way for us. We have to be apart more than we would like but the benefit is that it brings it home how much we enjoy being together and how much we need each other. Doug is my ground. I need him to give me the stable earth, the sustaining love and support to do what I do. And Roxy, I just love her doggie-ness and I need her to hang in there until we can be together every day walking in the vineyards again.

My knee is getting annoying. Time for that trial and challenge to be over......... patience needed again for yet another thing. Darn virtues, they keep raising their heads, asking me to transcend and smooth out the rough edges of my soul. Sometimes the soul gets sore with all that polishing.

But, as my mother, Elaine, said in her writings........

These are experiences you must have to grow from and learn from before passing into transition. You must always ask what can I learn from this? This is a class room – What has this experience taught me? What have these lessons meant to you as you walk the path? Are you stronger, surer of your destiny as a soul? Think of this my dear one, think of this. Share only the joy with your loved ones. Keep the sorrows secret within your heart. Spread moments of joy – like a banquet before your beloved – sip of the nectar together savor the bouquet.

There was a lot to learn from Mom......

1 comment:

  1. You're big Mom, too!!
    Surely, the Ladybug will come early.

    ReplyDelete