Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day Two, The Grapes Continue To Ripen


"Hi Mom. How are you doing?" the daughters ask in unison on speaker phone. "Better, I am walking some with the crutches", I tell them. "No, no, no. Stay put. Do not do too much", Anna scolds. "But dears, I am sleeping a lot and taking good care of myself. I am supermom. Nothing is going to get in the way of my caring for you. I am getting better. I need to get up and at least Pee. Can you give me that?" "Okay", they relent.

Day two of my surgical experience and I am looking out the window into the vineyard. No pain. No need for vicodin today. Just need the cooling ice waters soothing my stitched and repaired knee. Hope it will be like new one day soon. The meniscus strands were cut away so that it would no longer weep its internal knee tears causing a swollen bulge. I was beginning to call myself Hop a Long Cassidy. Hopefully this will get me back to myself, strong and sturdy, and a regular consistent exercising schedule. The old body is not what it used to be.

While I am having my knee drama, the teachings of CF Retreat have performed their magic for Sara. She also called earlier this morning to share about an incredible experience she had. A young man from Texas came to the Retreat this year to perform a one man show about CF and Organ Donation. He performs this act around the world as a way to fund raise. The key element is that he is a brother of a CF patient who passed away. The show is about the story of his little brother and his experience being his brother. As Sara said, she has wanted to find a connection with other siblings who are willing to share about their experience and it has been hard for her to find people to connect with. Last night she did. She said that the whole show expressed her inner feelings, hopes and fears about being Anna's sister in a way that "touched her soul".

This young man's brother with CF was a very ill little child and received a transplant at 6 years old, so very, very young. His donor was a three year old little girl who tragically lost her life and in turn give him life. Sara said they were so moved. It brought the whole situation into focus with how someone must die before our loved ones can receive life. So big, so big. Her sibling experience was acknowledged in a very powerful way giving her what she has been seeking. This is so important and such poignant timing now. We are so happy for her that she was able to witness this performance.

As Sara shared this news, Anna I.M.'ed on the computer to her Dad. It was announced on facebook that there is to be a lung transplant at Stanford today. She wanted Sara to know as she is the research messenger and will be on call today to go to the O.R. and pick up the recipient's lungs. Yes, indeed, there is a double lung transplant in process as I write this blog post. It is not a CF patient but another with equal need. May this go well and may she live fully, fulfilling the wishes of the donor family, carrying forth their loved one's unknown participation in her destiny.

Let us all stop for a moment and imagine this team of miracle workers in the O.R. doing their amazing work changing life immeasurably. Surround them with light........

And we still wait for Anna's turn. When it is right, like when the grapes on the vine outside my window ripen to be picked for heavenly wine. Timing is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment