Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Define Heaven

Day 27, awaiting the call for Anna's double lung transplant.

Yesterday Doug and I walked into a little bit of heaven, an orchard of peaches, plump, juicy and warm from the sun. Biting into as many as I wished, juice poured out with sweetness washing my chin with sticky yummyness. Yes, if there is a place that is heavenly it would include an orchard of peaches.

It is day 27 and tomorrow marks the 4 week mark since being on the list. Wendy has suggested that I say we are awaiting the call rather than waiting for the call. I think the difference is that waiting is more stagnant. Awaiting implies that there will be an anticipated event or result making it more dynamic. I am all for making this period more dynamic, rich and full of new moments of experience.

Being in the peach orchard yesterday gave me a new sense of moment and what a scenic heaven would look like. As I stood there, I knew what I wanted and needed to find pleasure and comfort in this life, in this moment. Warm juice filled fruit on the tree and the ability to share it with those that I love is truly heaven. Doug and I delighted in our country excursion to peach land together and I instantly thought about all of those others that would have loved that minute of tasty pleasure. I imagined my friends and family in ecstasy mmmming and ahhhhhing at the fruit delights. I had to call, "Anna, I am in heaven and I wish you were here." "Sorry, Mom, well, I'm not there." "Yes, but next year I am going to bring you here, you would love it so much!"

I am awaiting peach heaven with Anna and Sara and anyone who wants to join us breathing deeply and breathing in the warm fragrance of summer time in a California peach orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment