Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Cupcakes

Day 28, awaiting the call for Anna's double lung transplant.

Cupcakes are a treat. When they are done right they are a very pleasurable treat. Tiffane's Cupcakes in downtown Livermore are really, really good and any fine dinner or gathering of people would do very well by including them for desert. Being a cupcake aficionado, Anna believes they are even better than Sprinkles and Kara's in Palo Alto. Can it be that little Livermore out in the outskirts can have something better than our former city? It appears so........ this is a very good thing. As parents who moved to a new city we need to have hooks for ways that our kids will come to see us. Maybe cupcakes will be one of those things.......

Of course we are making plans for when the transplant is done and I am finally home in Livermore settling in and beginning to make a life for myself. I will want Anna and Sara to come and visit me, not because we are in crisis but because they want to. It is hard to imagine another time than now and our complicated lives, but I am hoping it comes. I love going home to Livermore. I love my house and its position on the vineyard. I love being able to walk to see horses in someone's backyard and a very large bull in another, and the sheep grazing down the block. I also love to watch the grapes as they move through their cycle from bare vines to fully ripe purple grapes waiting for harvest.

Right now, as it has always been, Anna has been a driving and central force as to how we operate as a family. She is definitely the center of attention. She came to our house on Saturday needing a treatment as Casey had another engagement. He dropped her off and came back to pick her up. So Sara came too and we gathered together in our home. Wonderful, especially for their dad who is spending a lot of time alone lately because of this situation.
We pounded on Anna, Sara did afternoon treatment and Doug did the evening one, ate way too much food including cupcakes and loved being together. But what will it be like when those time consuming CF rituals end? It has been the magnet that has been so much of our family dynamic. What is it going to be like without it? Things are going to change so much. I know that we love being together, so I do not think that will change, but what will this new freedom and lack of impending doom and crisis one after the other be like to live with?




Anna started to talk about that a little today. Before today she has been unwilling to venture into the unknown of the future with new lungs. She just felt like she had no idea yet what it will be like, but today I heard that Anna would like to go white water rafting.......... really? And for a moment she asked, will I want to go to work? She is dreaming about the future. A very good sign. I know that she is ready to get on with the show. May all of her dreams come true. And, may all of our dreams come true with out the constant yoke of CF and its yucky lung disease. And girls, please come and see mom and dad, sometimes............

3 comments:

  1. We had that little talk once -- inspired by our support group -- what do you want to do when you get your lungs??? My answer was that I really didn't know -- but that I'd hoped I'd get female lungs because I want to be able to wear bright colors.

    I wear bright colors now.

    And it does change post transplant -- so everyone better get a little prepared for it... I waited an awful long time -- but my transplant and recovery were incredibly fast... For me and my wife, it was always pretty exciting. But my mom and my little sister slipped into a little depression afterwards that really puzzled my mom... We talked about it -- they were over-the-top with joy that I "made it" and had beautiful, new lungs -- but something was off...

    I think we all figured out that they felt they were no longer needed like they'd been needed... My little sister was one of my primary caregivers, along with my wife and a therapist -- she was over EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at 9pm to pound on me for two hours -- every night for almost three years... Without question -- there was a huge relief that was over, and successful -- but at the same time, everyone hovered over me, and cared so deeply, and worked so hard -- and they were done. Project completed. Joyful depression. It was kinda amusing when we all realized where it was coming from...

    Whitewater rafting would be an awesome experience!!! And if you do want to go back to work, I hope you're as lucky as I've been in that regard -- I do hope all your dreams come true -- and I hope you find dreams you never knew you had too... And it's always good to visit your mom and dad...

    Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve, I tried to get your email.. but i thought i would comment to talk to you. This is Anna, CF Moms Cfer ;) I am very inspired by your story. I know many Cfers who have had transplants, but there is something about the way you understand and accept your transplant that rings so true to me. I would love if you also read my blog, and maybe we could email. My email is A13@aol.com I would love to hear from you. There is a link to my blog on this site!!

    ReplyDelete