Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Shirts As Story Tellers

Day 53, awaiting the call for Anna's double lung transplant.

Today I wore my Anna Banana's Bunch shirt out and about. I took about 30 packages filled with your Tshirts to the post office to mail off. There was no line, did you hear me, there was NO line! Yay! Patti, the name of the post office worker who served me, noticed the shirt and the many packages, thinking I had a business. "No", I informed her. "I have a daughter waiting on the transplant list for lungs. These are Tshirts like the one that I am wearing being sent to family and friends who are supporters. This is a project that has helped to lift her spirits."

"Oh", she said. "Does she need a kidney?" I went on to explain that she had CF and she is 29 and her lungs just no longer work. We talked a bit about the weird and difficult situation of waiting for organs because of what that means to the donor. I did find that uncomfortable to discuss with a stranger. You hope that you say the right thing and do not offend while still being honest.

As our conversation progressed I learned why she asked about a kidney. Her sister died of kidney failure at the age of 52. She has two other sisters that are on dialysis. The cause of the kidney disease was diabetes. All four of these sisters have suffered with diabetes for many years including Patti. Their mother died from diabetes too. She told me this with a lot of sadness. I so wanted to find some clever way to leave a bit of wisdom or to cheer her up, but it was hard to think of the right words. I just kept on listening. She continued to say that she had such a hard time managing her diabetes and was so worried it would get her too. Patti is a very attractive and kind person. I felt very sad for her.

After our chore of entering in the zip codes, stamping on First Class in red on the front of each package and completing the transaction, she wished my daughter well. I wished her well too. We never know the suffering or the story behind the exterior of anyone that we meet in the world. So many have health related issues to deal with. These human bodies are far from being without imperfections and reasons to suffer. I hope that my listening helped Patti some.

There are also very healthy people in the world. It is very shocking for some who have had the great good fortune to have good health most of their lives to learn of people they care about who are ill. A friend and reader of my blog told me that she recently heard from a friend of hers about someone who was just diagnosed with cancer. She was shocked that this disease could befall someone who was doing everything right. It happens that way sometimes. You eat well, you have a positive attitude, you exercise and then............. we all know people that this has happened to. My friend explained that life is not fair. That is just the way it is. She shared about Anna and living with this disease her entire life and now having the chance to have a new life where she can finally breathe with healthy lungs. This helped and inspired her and now there is another supportive "Buncher" out there sending prayers and positive thoughts to Anna.

The shirt gave me a way to get to know someone. I would never have known the postal worker as I do now. I will be sure to be extra kind to her whenever I go there and ask how she is doing. Anna's story gave someone a way to lift herself and reach out to another through my friend. If you share your story or are curious about someone else's story just think of what you can learn and the friends that you can make. If you have a shirt, wear it. Tell about Anna's story and educate about organ donation and the importance of discussing these things with your family. Or use it as a way to tell your own story. I am sure you will be able to touch another if only by them listening to you and then in turn you listening to them. I think that is what we all need more of, someone to listen, and to fine tune our own ability to listen to others.



What you wear
May reveal
Who you are

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this. I have been healthy my entire life until past decade when some very painful migraines showed up. The upside of this has been much more compassion and understanding of what suffering is about, much more connection with others. Hope the search for lungs ends very soon--TODAY love, a friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post. I was in tears as I got the end. Not sure what brought me there....maybe the fact that so many people are waiting and the solution is simple get more people to sign up. Paige and I talk in out local High School twice a year and the homework assigned is to look at the web site and start the conversion with your family. Many people have no idea how their loved ones fell about organ donation.
    Life is about learning and educating. I will wear my "Anna Banana" shirt with pride and educate all those that ask.
    My life as saved 4 1/2 years ago with a double lung TX, my donor as not registered but her daughter made a choice and it was the right choice.
    ~~~Lisa

    ReplyDelete