Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Drums

Day 39, awaiting the call for Anna's double lung transplant.

Listening for the winter sparrow brought me the sound of drums, Japanese and American Indian drums. At the last minute a call from Isa invited me to hear taiko and native American drumming in honor of the Smithsonian Institute's American Indian Museum in Washington DC presented by the Foundation for Hakoni Garden in Saratoga. What a combo!



The evening was perfect with a warm temperature and traditional Japanese surroundings. We were treated to the heart beat of the native drum and the lilting sounds of the native flute. Then we were awakened with the pounding and energized taiko drums that made our bodies move and shake to the rhythm. Such a deep penetrating sound into the bones, through the soles of the feet securing the connection to the ground and earth beneath.


Drumming is something I love. I have done a little of it. I never joined a drumming circle even though at one point I was part of a native American medicine circle. It was there that I had my own drum made. Recently drumming has been a therapeutic exercise of friendship with Peggy and Ron in Murphys. They have a fabulous kettle drum. Sometimes we beat and beat that drum sending its song into the valley. It feels so good. It opens you and energizes you. Such a powerful and ancient form of music connecting to that which is bigger.



Actually, Anna and I drum everyday on her back, front and sides. This rhythm is different, the rhythm is life giving, the rhythm is regular and the rhythm will end with transplant, truly what a relief that will be. Then, only the beat of the drum and not the sounds of hitting of my daughter's chest will fill my ears with that echoing rhythm. We are so ready for that day to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment