Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The First PFT Post Transplant.....

Seven weeks post transplant on Monday and a clinic visit..........



"OK, here I am in the fated PFT room and chamber. This is what I have been dreading, the 'numbers'. The numbers have determined my fate forever. The numbers determined my eligibility to the T list. And now, this is the moment with my new lungs, the first base line number of a PFT."



"OK Anna. They can not hear my thoughts. They don't know that I am sitting here saying to myself, #@$!!&%$#@#@!!!!! But, I am. I am getting ready. I can't get away without doing this. Here I go."



"They say it will be OK. They say I should not worry. They say my numbers will go up over time. Oh what the ......... time to lighten up and do what I do."



"Breathe in and blow, blow, blow"



"Keep it coming, blow, blow, a little more......"



"OK, I did it, and I did not cough. I do not feel like holy crap after. I can breathe. Amazing."



"They say, no obstructions. They say it looks good. Can it be?"



"Hey PFT, maybe we can be friends, after all."



" Not bad, not bad at all."

Anna's first pft was an FEV1 of 66% and the small airways at 109%. Pre transplant it was FEV1 of 28% and small airways were at 9%. FEV1 is how much air you can expel in 1 second. This is a critical number in CF. Great place to start Anna. The lungs are working. They just need to expand more and be worked. We look forward to seeing progress in the PFT room this year rather than the dreaded drops as CF progressed. Wish these numbers could no longer be a determining factor but they will be. They will help to determine how she is doing and whether she has some rejection. It is just the way it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment