Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reporting From Home!

Day 13 post transplant.....

Two weeks ago tonight the call came shortly after 9PM. Doug and I were snuggled in watching a movie, sipping some sherry. Our lives changed. Anna talked about this last night with Dr. Dave. She commented on how she was about to do a treatment and Casey about to shower getting ready for the week when the fateful call rang. It happened so fast. Within 9 hours she was in surgery to receive her beautiful and perfect new lungs. Life will never be the same. The grief process to release the old lungs is now underway as Anna is starting to move from survival mode to integration.

Doug and I are happy to be home for a day. The skies are gray and pregnant with rain. This is one of my favorite times looking out a window with tea and xmas catalogues. We will have a fun time at Christmas this year. Now is my chance to do a little internet shopping. That is about all I will be able to do but I do think we will be in my home baking cookies and fixing a grand feast of celebration.

Linda was caring for Anna this morning so I could leave. Sara and Casey are in charge now. And what is so amazingly important,
Anna has Peeeeed twice in about 12 hours so far.......... monumental!!!!!!!!!!

On Friday eve I had a feeling our mojo had shifted and we were back on track. That serendipity of coincidence began to play with me. I went for a walk and in a most unusual way ran into a Dr. whom I worked for when Anna was born and diagnosed with CF. There was David. He heard how Anna was doing through a friend. I told him it was a gift to see him as I was so connected to him and his department at Stanford where I worked while pregnant with Anna. The life that resulted from Anna's birth was now ending and Anna is now beginning a new life. We embraced. It was a marker to me. We are now moving forward, the magic is starting to connect the dots again............ let's hope so. This very difficult stuff is so hard to take with out some of that magic of serendipity that was so much a part of Anna's transplant journey from the beginning.

We are now on track to leave the hospital on Wednesday............

No comments:

Post a Comment