Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Year Ago.....

Day 68, awaiting the call for Anna's double lung transplant.

Woke up this morning before 6AM knowing it was time to write. Strange that for me the very early morning especially in the Fall is a time the voice within my mind seeks expression. When I am involved in a creative project I awaken around this time with inspirations. I am full of ideas, colors, images, metaphors, poems, things that I want to say. It is like someone taps me on the shoulder while I am sleeping and insists that the flood of ideas must not be forgotten. Today is different though. Today I knew I should get up and write but I am not sure of what I need to say.

In my email there is a message from Ana Stenzel. Now I know what I must say today. It was 1 year ago that I had the gift of going with them to Japan. I stayed only a little more than a week but it was so special. I was able to witness the power of truth being told and myths being shattered to help change cultural obstacles to the miracle of transplant in Japanese society. Much work had already been done by very dedicated people in their own country but Ana and Isa arrived with their strong voice, confident spirits and beautiful message that helped to transform the conversation. Today because of everything that happened, there are new laws allowing for more donor organs and transplants and necessary medications for the struggling CF families in Japan. The Power of Two Movie is close to completion with this amazing story to tell about our friends, Ana and Isa, CF, transplant and the strength of a community of people fighting for their lives. On Oct 16 we will be able to see for the first time the first official cut of the film at a showing in San Francisco. It is poised and ready to be entered into many film festivals, exciting.

Finding The Power of Two Book in Japanese in a bookstore!

One year ago when I went to Japan I did not know that my Anna would now be waiting for a lung transplant herself. I knew that one day that would happen. I knew that it was not far away but it is not that easy to predict the decline of CF. I went to Japan to support my friends, to learn about another culture, and to support the CF families of Japan that are so few in number. I dedicated the trip to my daughter and all other families with CFers who would need a transplant one day.

Prayer Flags for the Families of Japan.

The trip was filled with enriching and deep experiences that have stayed with me. I met another CF family, the Adachi's whose son Akihiro is also waiting for a transplant like Anna is. May they both be blessed with this miracle............ And Rumiko whose daughter died without the opportunity to receive this miracle is still a friend who I feel everyday and I know reads my blog. I send love to all of you beautiful friends.


My Sister CF Moms in Japan

Here is an excerpt from my Japan trip blog in honor of being there one year ago......

Ana and I burst out onto the streets of Tokyo to visit the Asakusa Kannon Temple. We found our way on the Genza subway line. Now I know how to do this and feel confident I could get there again on my own, Yaaayyy.

Approaching the temple was a street of traditional Japanese trinket shops.
I love the tinkling sounds, the colors, the miniatures, the fans, the good luck kitties, the little bags, the bells, the chopsticks, the rice crackers, the smell of fresh cooked waffles with red bean pastries everywhere. We were so excited to be there together. My sweet, sweet friend Ana told me this was her dream to go to Japan with me one day. We celebrated that we have been friends for almost 20 years now. What a wonderful place to be. We missed Isa and hoped that she was resting and restoring her energy.

Approaching the temple I became overwhelmed with the history and vibration of this sacred Buddhist place of prayer. Over the centuries Senso-ji has burned to the ground, and parts had been bombed and destroyed during World War II only to be rebuilt and remain a center of culture and worship in Tokyo since 645. The temple celebrates the worship of Bodhisattva Kannon, the deity of mercy sent to relieve human misery on earth. This Bodhisattva of compassion is well known in other sects of Buddhism around the world as Kuan Yin and forms of Tara.

From the flier about the temple: “Faith in the Bodhisattva Kannon, which has supported Senso-ji and drawn many people to this temple, consists of opening one’s heart and living by the merciful spirit of Bodhisattva Kannon and at the same time showing mercy to others in daily life. We hope that visitors to Senso-ji will join their hands in prayer, receive the merciful spirit of the Bodhisattva Kannon into their hears and pray that they can bestow that mercy upon others.”

The spirit of this intention was clear with out reading about it. I felt the warmth and compassion embrace me the moment I smelled the musky smoke of the incense and watched as people placed lit stick bundles in the cauldron to mark this place, allowing the smoke to cleanse them of impurities and negativity. I felt deeply, deeply connected with emotion to this place as it sent me into my Buddhist study and faith that has been with me my whole adult life. I resonate with these teaching to my core and deep within my heart. Warm tears and incense smoke touched my cheeks as I was overwhelmed with the feeling of privilege to be in such a place of compassion and mercy.



Inside the temple Ana and I lit and placed candles dedicating this Japan trip to the film and the work about transplant awareness to benefit all beings everywhere, ending suffering, and my daughter Anna. With a small offering, I also shook the box of sticks, an ancient way to receive a fortune.

My stick led me to number 42: “When spring comes, Katsura tree flowers are in full bloom, smelling so well. Your fortune will open wide when your season comes. If you get the chance, open, you will get fame and honor, climbing the way to top of the sky. Also you meet a great person with honor who helps you. The moon in the dark sky will get bright again, in the clear sky, you can meet the fortune soon. ‘Your request will be granted. The patient gets well soon. ‘” What more can I say?


Lunch was in a very small and traditional restaurant. (Please excuse me, I try to remember how to spell the Japanese words for foods but by the time I am at the computer it is a jumble.) Ana was so excited to share this with me, she and Isa ate this style so many times when they lived in Japan in the 90’s. In the middle of the table was a hot griddle.
We were given a piece of pork, bacon, to cook and then chop into pieces adding it to a mixture of green onions, cabbage and batter. Next we poured the mix upon the griddle. A large Japanese pancake sizzled in front of us. Ana’s grin was ear to ear as the aroma excited our bellies. Finally flipped on both sides it was delicious with sauces available on the side of the table. Must say I was stuffed as we had had a fresh red bean pastry just before we arrived at the restaurant. I got a little shopping done. With more to do another day and we headed for the subway back to join the others, change our clothes and attend another event.


I will briefly tell you about the final event of the day. It is difficult to tell much as I really, really do not understand Japanese. Yes, my heart is open but my ears, well, they are not catching onto much. The event was not as well attended as was hoped and it was thought that it being a Monday evening and rainy at that, was a reason.

Speaking in fluent Japanese......


Always looking for fun.....

The interview went well and Andrew and I learned afterward about some of the things that were said. Most importantly was the contrast between cultures such as that less than 10% of Japanese people who can, donate organs for transplant in comparison to California where over 70% do. The interviewers were amazed at this statistic. We are in a transplant community here but what is significantly different is that all the people we have met have either had a living donor transplant of a kidney, lobe of a lung or section of a liver or had to go out of the country to receive a cadaver organ. It is this situation that Ana and Isa want to address in this visit. They would not be here if it was not for the generous gift of life following the tragic death of someone in the U.S............



May the Power of Two Movie continue to be a force of compassion, education and awareness opening minds and hearts and ending the suffering of many.

The food was so important too...Thanks for taking me along.... I will never forget it.......

click here......
The Power of Two Movie

No comments:

Post a Comment