Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thank You Greg, Janet, Sally and Ed


The first day of evaluation went well, better than expected. Everything was on time with little to no waiting. Anna rode in the wheelchair all day to save energy and that helped a lot. The assessment of our family and Anna's support system took about 2 hours with the social worker, Annie. She was very professional and impressive. It gave us a time to sit together and listen to Anna about how she feels about what is happening and to offer supportive words to each other in how we are all going to get through this. We are committed to helping each other and being sure we do not burn out. We all vote for a speedy transplant and recovery but the timing is so out of our control.

In retrospect, as I think about how the day progressed there was a unique character of support that was developing from behind the scenes. Do you ever feel that serendipitous things happen in such a way to be dream like? I do a lot of the time. It makes me feel like life is not all what it appears to be on the surface and there are communications that are unseen and unknown, making life's coincidences. You know how you think about someone and then there they are? Isn't life funny sometimes? Stanford is a very busy and bustling place. There are thousands of people there, and yet so many times I see people I know at just the right time and place. It happens a lot there and yesterday was no exception.

We have a dear friend, Ed. He and his wife Lisa have been our friends for 25 years. They are quite a bit older, Ed is now 85, but he is such a young minded man. He is a dear sweet man who was involved in the new age movement in CA from the beginning of Esalen knowing many of the early teachers of that era. In fact, he was a teacher himself and has a black belt in Akido. He is a Buddhist and poet and one of my favorite people. He is also a chaplain volunteer at the hospital once per week. I have seen him from time to time when I was at the hospital as he did his rounds of compassion. I had no idea what day he was to be there. I have been missing Ed. As I was walking down the hall I thought about Ed and Lisa and that I had not seen them for a while and wished I could knock on their door.

You know where this is leading. A couple of hours later as Anna and I went to her last appointment of the day and pushed the button of the elevator to go to Ground the doors parted and there standing all by himself was Ed. "Ed! I can not believe it is you. You are the man of my dreams, standing there! I so wanted to see you!" This is the true work of a tuned in chaplain! Such an act of Aikido! He appeared at the most opportune time after I knocked (pushed the button, ha ha) at his door. We hugged and caught up. It felt like such a gift. I need magic right now. That was magical.

A little other friendship magic happened earlier in our visit that was confirming and supporting. As we talked about Anna's support system and the what ifs like if any of us are sick is there someone to step in my sister, Sue's and sister-in-law, Terri's and our dear friend, Janet's names were mentioned. She could come from Mendocino to help us. It could not have been 30 secs later my cell phone rang. It was Janet. I could not answer because we were in the meeting but, it was her way of saying, "I hear you all the way up here in Mendo, yes, I will be there." We all laughed at that and also knew that her loyalty as a friend could be counted on. A little magic was sprinkled on us.

And, just before that, not so serendipitously but with love and great timing (minutes before our session was to begin) my brother, Greg called as we were waiting in the Chest Clinic and to begin the process. He did not know where I would be at that time but he called to say he loved me and sent his support. I need my brother and this family support and kindness. It makes such a difference.

And interspersed yet another time in the day, when we were having lunch in the sunshine, another friend, Sally, came up to us to say hello and to tell us of a former neighbor in the hospital with cancer. She was visiting her. I know they are dear friends. I could see the pain and concern on her face. Meeting Sally showed me how much true friends do care and will be there when you need them.

I know we all have these experiences. It is when they happen when you need them to, when you are needing support and good things to come your way that they add that flavor of sweetness to the day that makes you believe that life is good even though it is so very tough. Thank you Greg, Janet, Sally and Ed. You are all so special and reaching out means so much.

3 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful, Robin. I love reading about this journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic looks like we are at a grand hotel instead of a hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin, so glad to hear that the eval process is going smoothly. Two days down, two to go! P.S. Once Anna gets her transplant and if you ever need back up, please add my name of supporters to the list. I will do anything I can to support Anna. I'll make sure she knows that, too!

    ReplyDelete